The MOVMCF Scholarship Award is sponsored by Suddenlink.
2017-2018 High school seniors in Wood County, WV or Washington County, OH
who plan to continue their education.
1. AWARD: $500
2. Student and teacher are invited to the festival's Opening Ceremonies on Friday, June 15, 2018
to accept the award.
3. Essays will be on display at the festival June 16 & 17 (Sat & Sun).
The Mid-Ohio Valley Multi-Cultural Festival was established to help us all learn about and appreciate various cultures, including our own, whatever culture that may be. If we are exposed to different ways of living, we become more aware of who we are and how we live. So we are asking you to tell a story about culture through essay.
Essays should be based on one of the following topics related to the Birmingham Pledge: http://www.thebirminghampledge.org/birmingham-pledge.PDF
• I believe that every person has worth as an individual.
• I believe that every person is entitled to dignity and respect, regardless of race or color.
• I believe that every thought and every act of racial prejudice is harmful; if it is my thought or act, then it is harmful to me as well as to others.
• Therefore, from this day forward I will strive daily to eliminate racial prejudice from my
thoughts and actions.
• I will discourage racial prejudice by others at every opportunity.
• I will treat all people with dignity and respect; and I will strive daily to honor this pledge, knowing that the world will be a better place because of my effort.
Choose a Topic:
Topic 1: What is your reaction to the Birmingham Pledge? Do you think people being disrespected or mistreated because of their race, cultural heritage (including Appalachian), gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, economic status or other characteristic is a problem in this area? Several years ago, Parkersburg put up signs proclaiming itself to be an inclusive community. Do you think your community is an inclusive community? Explain. What could it do to become a more inclusive community?
Topic 2: What is institutional racism and what are some examples? As you learned more about various situations, what was your reaction?
Topic 3: Except for the Native Americans, we are a nation of immigrants, whether brought here by decision or force. What stories do you have of your immigrant heritage? What impact has your heritage had on you?
Questions? Contact MOVMCF Representative Charlotte Owens, firstname.lastname@example.org, (304)482-0626.
Please submit your essay by May 11, 2018 to email@example.com.